Sustainability at UBM
Sustainability at UBM has five key elements: people, communities, environment, customers, and governance. Being an ethical, sustainable business is central to how we behave, how we make decisions, and how we do business every day.
At UBM Americas, our evolution of producing sustainable events is fueled by insight, innovation, and collaboration. We are proud of our commitment to having a positive environmental and social impact on both the communities and industries we work within.
- Collaborating with venues and general service contractors to compile data on the waste produced by events and electricity used. Studying the data to determine improvements from year to year.
- Auditing events through internal Sustainable 10 program.
- Printing as much signage as possible on recyclable materials.
- Ordering multiple-use carpet.
- Using Energy Star rated projectors, monitors, and speakers, using LED lighting and encouraging the use of LED lighting for booths.
- Partnering with charitable organizations, and instituting wellness initiatives.
- Replacing physical attendee bags with the paperless Digital Tote Bag to reduce waste.
Sustainability at GDC
What are we doing:
- Reduced show organizer signage produced by 12% in 2017.
- 99% of carpet supplied by GES returned to inventory to be reused.
- Implemented a two year plan to completely move to LED lighting for conference productions for GDC 2019.
- Donating Summit passes to the Indie Giving charity.
- Offering Scholarship Opportunities to attend GDC.
- GDC's partner, GES, made a donation on GDC's behalf to Daniel Webster Elementary School in Portrero Hill of San Francisco.
- Choosing partners who value sustainability, like Moscone Center and GES.