Sustainability at Informa Tech
Sustainability at Informa Tech has five key elements: people, communities, environment, customers, and governance. Being an ethical, sustainable business is central to how we behave, how we make decisions, and how we do business every day. At Informa Tech, our evolution of producing sustainable events is fueled by insight, innovation, and collaboration. We are proud of our commitment to having a positive environmental and social impact on both the communities and industries we work within.
Learn more about our Sustainability programs below, or visit our Diversity & Inclusion page to see how GDC is working to produce a positive social impact as well.
- GDC organizers have partnered with leading environmental groups to help reduce the carbon footprint of the conference. We're inviting attendees to participate by making a contribution during registration which will be directly donated to offset the impact of travel to the event on the environment.
- Collaborating with venues and general service contractors to compile data on the waste produced by events and electricity used. Studying the data to determine improvements from year to year.
- Printing as much signage as possible on recyclable materials.
- Ordering multiple-use carpet.
- Using Energy Star rated projectors, monitors, and speakers, using LED lighting and encouraging the use of LED lighting for booths.
- Partnering with charitable organizations, and instituting wellness initiatives.
- Replacing physical attendee bags with the paperless Digital Tote Bag to reduce waste.
- Choosing partners who value sustainability, like Moscone Center and GES.
- GDC offers a Bike Valet free of cost, managed by San Francisco Bike Coalition to encourage attendees to ride by bike.
GDC 2023 Environmental Sessions
- Climate Crisis Workshop: Use Your Game Developer Superpowers to Fight The Climate Crisis
- Teaching Sustainability and Game Design: From the Low-Hanging Fruits to the Root of the Problem
- Playing for the Planet Climate Check: 10 Steps to Climate Leadership
- Developing 'Terra Nil': A Strategy Game About Nature, Not Expansion
- Co-Designing a Climate Resilient Video Game Industry: Game Devs, Researchers, and Indigenous Communities Roundtable (Presented by the IGDA)
- Climate Games: The Developer's Field Guide
- Game Developers Building a Climate Resilient Industry Roundtable (Presented by the IGDA)