Psychology and Game UX
Celia Hodent, PhD
November 3-4, 2022
Repeat: December 8-9, 2022
8 am-12 pm PT both days
$949- General (Ends December 5)
Seating is limited to ensure each student has time with the instructor, and registration for these courses will be closed when capacity is reached.
Subscribe to the official GDC Newsletter to receive info on future GDC Masterclass courses and other offerings.
Experiencing a game happens in the player's mind. This is why understanding the human brain (especially its limitations) while it is perceiving and interacting with a game is paramount to accomplish faster and more efficiently your developers' goals. This workshop proposes to delve into how the human brain works in terms of perception, attention, and memory (critical elements for usability), and offers insights on human motivation, emotion, and gameflow (critical elements for engaging games). Based on these elements, the workshop proposes a UX framework and UX guidelines during the different game development stages.
Two-Day Course: This is a single course that takes place over two four-hour days with limited breaks.
Designers, artists, gameplay/UI programmers, producers, and junior UX practitioners.
- Learn how to significantly improve the experience of the game you are developing as perceived by your target audience.
- Improve usability and engagement.
- Understand the main characteristics and limitations of the human brain (in terms of perception, attention, memory, motivation, and emotion), and how they impact game development.
- Learn what makes a game engaging (in terms of motivation, emotion, and game flow) and how to foster these components in your game.
- Have a clear and concrete understanding of what having a UX mindset and developing a UX strategy entail.
- Course includes a complimentary copy of The Gamer’s Brain: How Neuroscience and UX Can Impact Video Game Design.
Celia Hodent is recognized as a leader in the application of user experience (UX) and cognitive science in the game industry. Celia holds a PhD in psychology and has over ten years of experience in the development of UX strategy and processes in video game studios. Through her work at Ubisoft, LucasArts, and as Director of UX at Epic Games (Fortnite), she has contributed to many projects across multiple platforms, from PC to consoles, mobile, and VR. Celia is also the founder of the Game UX Summit, advisor for the GDC UX Summit, member of CNIL Foresight Committee in France, author of The Gamer’s Brain: How Neuroscience and UX can Impact Video Game Design and of The Psychology of Video Games. She currently works as an independent consultant, helping studios increase the likelihood of their games to be engaging and successful.
Preferred Title: Game UX Strategist
Company Name: Independent