Derek Lieu has made his mark creating trailers for indie hits like Spelunky 2 and Firewatch, as well as exciting AAA franchises like Half-Life and Mortal Kombat. In this class he will share his entire process from creative direction to editing and from capture to final delivery to create a standout game trailer.
Small indie teams, game developers interested in making their own trailers, marketing directors, and video editors looking to become game trailer editors or sharpen their skills.
- Learn a step-by-step process for making trailers that will make your games stand out in today's crowded market.
- Learn the best way to highlight your game’s hook in a trailer and bring players closer to a purchase.
- Understand what style of trailer to make based on your game's style and your marketing timeline, to achieve maximum awareness around your release.
- Find out how to see and break down games like a trailer editor and capture artist and hone your trailer-making process.
- Learn how to develop a sense of the most marketable aspects of your games and leverage those strengths in trailers to pique consumer interest.
Derek Lieu is a professional game trailer editor from Boston, MA. After studying film at NYU and spending years working in-house with Giaraonomo Productions in New York City and Hammer Creative in Los Angeles, he decided to form his own business, Derek Lieu Creative, LLC. In the past seven years, he has worked on trailers for over 100 titles including Half-LIfe: Alyx, Firewatch, Spelunky 2, Subnautica, Ooblets, Mortal Kombat X, and various LEGO games. Currently he resides back on the East Coast in Brooklyn, NY.